Grantmaking Focus and Priorities
A healthy and educated community is the foundation’s priority and strategic commitment. In addition to grantmaking, we support the work of the Bold Goals Coalition of Central Alabama and seek partners who share common interests for collaboration and advocacy allowing for greater impact.
Community Health – Good nutrition, quality health care and positive emotional environments are vital to the health and well- being of children and adults. Many families in the Birmingham area lack access to healthy and affordable food and adequate health services. The foundation supports programs that:
- Expand and improve access to health care and healthy and affordable food for vulnerable populations.
- Encourage healthy behavior, improved mental and physical health and promote wellness and preventive measures.
Education – Opportunity and success are dependent on a quality education and all students need opportunities to prepare them to succeed in school and work. The foundation’s resources are targeted to underserved students to improve academic performance, graduation rate and job readiness.
- Promote school readiness and quality early childhood education
- Ensure students have reading and math grade level skills
- Provide youth development programs that offer mentoring and tutoring
Other focus areas include:
- Responding to community needs by providing basic human services for at risk children and adults living in poverty or with disabilities.
- Improving the community by providing families with safe places to live, exercise and play.
- Bringing arts and cultural activities to all people to enrich lives, build community and fuel a prosperous creative economy.